WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hodge-Podge

Good Morning everybody. I apologize if I didn't get around to all your blogs yesterday. We had a really busy day planned, and somehow I didn't get around to much computer work. Bill paying, grocery shopping, get gas and diesel, get chicken feed, and bird seed ( can't forget the birds), and trips to 2 Amish bulk food stores, PLUS we treated ourselves out to lunch of course. What a day.
Snowfall now = 19.5" with more lake effect snow on the way.
Now on to the pictures, yesterday morning all the birds suddenly disappeared and I knew why. Here it is, Mr./ Mrs. Cooper's Hawk spying on us from back in among the branches . You can barely see him, but those beady little eyes can certainly see us! On our way to one of the Amish bulk food stores, is this wagon full of sawdust.
We managed to get closer, and I got a couple more shots before they turned into their driveway. There are many Amish sawmills in this area, and would you believe it they have great piles of slab wood that they set on fire and burn it till it's gone. I can't figure out why they don't use it in their own stoves.

I've been trying to get a good picture of a Slate Colored Junco ( Snowbird). They are pretty fast and don't sit still very long.
I'm always looking for flying birds too.
Have a great day all. Take care and stay warm.

9 comments:

me ann my camera said...

I cannot believe that amount of snow, so far for us just a dusting yesterday and today it is gone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay like this, snowless.

Your mention of clapboard reminded me of my grandparents, they always burned it in the kitchen stove to get a fast, quick hat.

And I like the camoflagued Cooper's in the tree, I perhaps had one immy yard this week but not sure, it might have been a Sharp-shinned.

Great post, interesting pictures.
ann

Mary said...

That hawk really hides well in a snowy scene! It does seem odd to waste that wood. Maybe you could ask someone at one of the stores sometime why they do it. Junco's are hard to photograph. I've had a flock of about 15 swarming on my driveway food, but I can't get good shots. Keep warm!

Cicero Sings said...

All that snow ... too bad you couldn't send some of it our way.

EG CameraGirl said...

You certainly have gotten a lot of snow already. We have just enough here to require me wearing boots when I'm out taking photos but not if 'm just out to the grocery store.

Too bad the hawk is out hunting but I guess he needs to eat too.

Jan said...

Wow, you had a busy and productive day. Love the photos. I have something for you on my blog.

Fire runner said...

Yes we sure have had alot of snow this last week. It will just keep on coming by what the weather forcast says! Steve

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Hmmm!! I wonder why they burn it too? Great post Becky, those snow shots are terrific too especially the hawk.

Michele said...

I'm not particularly pleased with all the snow here as I run out of photo opportunities. It just gets so boring for me... trees and snow. Roads and snow. I'm glad I still have lots of pretty Autumn photos... Too much winter for the next 5 months! Ugh... you seem to do well with photographing snow... beautiful pictures.
~Michele~

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. I wish it would snow here. It got really close last year. Maybe this year. :-)