As I sit here typing there is a skunk foraging under my bird feeders looking for sunflower seeds. He also paid us a visit at 3AM and left his " calling card". I don't understand why they have to spray when there is no threat. Anyway I opened up the bathroom window, and sprayed him with Hornet spray. He did leave, but apparently didn't learn his lesson because he's back! I really wouldn't mind if they stayed around because they DO dig for Japanese Beetle grubs, and that is a good thing. This Sugar Maple leaves are turning.On my morning walk I discovered this Red Eft Newt Salamander on the road. I think he was trying to gather up some warmth from the pavement. Red-spotted Newts are among the most common salamanders in the East. Adults are aquatic and have an olive-green back with scattered red spots and a yellow belly with small black dots. The juvenile terrestrial stage, red eft, is probably the most recognizable stage by most people. Efts are red with black-bordered red spots along each side. Adults are about 4 inches long and the tail is keeled (more pronounced in males). Two features that separate newts from other salamanders are the lack of costal grooves and presence of two longitudinal ridges on top of the head. I put him in the grass so he wouldn't get run over. In the 30 years we've lived here this is only the 2nd time I've seen these Newts around here, and I think it's because of all the rain this Spring and Summer that has kept the streams and ponds full.
More shots of the Hydrangea trees. The flowers are turning pink now.
Some more mushrooms in the cemetery.
We had to stop for a few minutes while this herd of cows went from the barn out to pasture.
Haw many colors can you count?
The latest Monarch Butterfly is due to emerge Friday, and the girls have named"it" Polka-Dot. Stay tuned for new photos. It's supposed to be a nice day too. That will be good for Polka-Dot, but there aren't many tasty flowers left ...
I opened our back door the other morning to the sweet smell of skunk. That's the first in a long time. Our leaves are beginning to color too. I love to photograph the maples in the yard as they progress to a brilliant orange.
What a beautiful salamander Becky. He is really pretty. The animals like this shunk, is marking off his territory to let others of his kind know it is already taken. If it is a female, the males can smell if she is ready to mate too. Gosh but those hydrangea trees are pretty now.
So much color today in your post! That red salamander is very neat looking. I haven't had seen many skunks come by this year. They usually don't spray at my house, but just eat the left-over seeds and leave. Love the cow photos!
I have never seen a salamander like that one,only greenish/brownish ones. The leaves are turning here too.Fall is my favorite time of year.Your pictures are great.I like the Hydrangea trees.
The leaves are spectacular.Your posts are full of fantastic pictures and information.About that skunk,well, I sure hope he finds someplace else to do his spraying from now on. Blessings,Ruth
So sorry about the skunk! My hubster says we have one digging grubs in our backyard but so far no calling cards. But we're afraid it might decide to live under our garden shed. That would NOT be good.
You've taken a few photos that look like October is on the horizon!
7 comments:
I opened our back door the other morning to the sweet smell of skunk. That's the first in a long time. Our leaves are beginning to color too. I love to photograph the maples in the yard as they progress to a brilliant orange.
What a beautiful salamander Becky. He is really pretty. The animals like this shunk, is marking off his territory to let others of his kind know it is already taken. If it is a female, the males can smell if she is ready to mate too. Gosh but those hydrangea trees are pretty now.
So much color today in your post! That red salamander is very neat looking. I haven't had seen many skunks come by this year. They usually don't spray at my house, but just eat the left-over seeds and leave. Love the cow photos!
I have never seen a salamander like that one,only greenish/brownish ones.
The leaves are turning here too.Fall is my favorite time of year.Your pictures are great.I like the Hydrangea trees.
The leaves are spectacular.Your posts are full of fantastic pictures and information.About that skunk,well, I sure hope he finds someplace else to do his spraying from now on.
Blessings,Ruth
So sorry about the skunk! My hubster says we have one digging grubs in our backyard but so far no calling cards. But we're afraid it might decide to live under our garden shed. That would NOT be good.
You've taken a few photos that look like October is on the horizon!
I was almost under the impression we didn't have skunks up here ... but a couple of times on the back trail now, there have been tell tale scents.
Love the cow pictures.
Post a Comment