WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Creek Trail

I decided to brave the elements ( mosquitoes),yesterday afternoon and take a walk on the creek trail. I got out the "Off" and headed down the path. I hadn't been there in a while because of the high water, and then those pesky bugs! This little Green Heron didn't see me at first and I watched him for a while as he hunted.
The wild cucumber. It doesn't even look like a cucumber does it..

There is an apple tree on this trail most likely a volunteer, and there aren't very many apples this year due to the late frost we had this spring.


Looking down the trail you can see this apple tree in the middle of the picture.

On a muddy area I found this Anglewing butterfly.



I don't know what these berries are but I like the blue color, and they are all over the trails. I don't think the birds eat them.

This is the Milkweed Tiger Moth larva. I love the colors, and think it looks like little bits of cut up yarn. The moth itself is not very attractive.

I have more shots from the Creek trail, and I'll post them sometime this week-end.
Have a great Thursday all.


6 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Love the butterflies and caterpillar Becky. What a lovely trail this is.

Arija said...

Lovely post, nice apple tree. If you still remember cucumbers the way they were before the smooth skins came in, they all had prickles.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sure happy you ventured out,the pictures tell a beautiful tale.The trail picture is just begging for me to walk down it.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

You still have mosquitoes? We are now mosquito free. Yea!

No wild cukes here.

The avenue to the apple tree looks so inviting.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad you finally braved the bugs to capture these photos. Green herons?! I'm not sure but I doubt I've ever seen one. And the larva of the milkweed tiger moth is a different creature too.

I've seen those blue berries though and think if the birds don't eat them they must not be very good...or could be poisonous.

Mary said...

What great photos! We see a lot of the same things. I saw one of theose herons last week. I love that view down the trail...how pretty! Beautiful butterfly! I like it's frilly wings. I just saw one of those milkweed tiger moth larva today....glad you identified it, because I had no idea what it was! They do look like bits of yarn...I thought the same thing. How funny!