WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Winter sneaking up on us

Tuesday morning we awoke to about 1/2" of heavy wet snow. I took an early morning walk on the creek trail, and snapped a few pictures. In this first shot you can see the creek itself off to the left of the trail.
This bench is so nice to sit and watch for wildlife. It faces the creek.

I thought these looked like cotton plants.
Yesterday turned out to be cloudy , but not too cold, SO we took off to the beach looking for sea glass what else. I got more in that search than I ever had before, most of it was just laying on top of the sand, so it was a really good day! Beginning Thursday we're getting rain and then probably snow.
As we were leaving the beach I spotted a very large flock of smaller Gulls flying just everywhere.

These are Bonaparte's Gulls, and apparently are migrating. They winter on the ocean coasts, and also on the Great Lakes. I've never seen them before.



There is a stream running from a small hill out to the lake, and I liked the pattern of the flow on the sand.

On the way home we saw 6 deer ready to cross the road, but when they saw our van they all stopped and turned back. Thank goodness.
I hope everyone had a safe day. Thursday I am going to sort through a ton of old photographs, and get them put in our safe.
That should take up my whole day...

5 comments:

jan m said...

No snow here yet Becky. We had rain and wind, but our temps stay above freezing during the day.
I saw my first Bonaparte's gull last summer here at the marsh, but only one.
Have a nice day!

Cicero Sings said...

Snow can add such a nice look to things. Doesn't that untrod patch just beckon though!

My sister always used to look for beach glass too, as she lives near the ocean. She finally got so much she started to high grade, then she quit altogether.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed the pictures,but my favorite has to be the stream patterns,that's really neat.Thanks for all the encouraging comments you leave on my blog.Hope that your day is filled with special joys.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

I love the snow photos...with the untouched snow on everything. The first snow or two seem peaceful...until it becomes tedious for those of you that get so much. I hope you have a while yet before it begins. Great gulls! That water making patterns on the sand is neat.

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, be glad the deer turned back! I wonder why you found so much beach glass. Hmmm.

Yes, the temperatures are supposed to go down, down, down. I have been enjoying the relatively mild weather.