WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Busy Saturday

OK, it's been a really busy week for us. We've been out nearly every day and I haven't had much time to get new pictures. Ordering steel for a new roof on the barn, picking up new grates and bricks for our wood stove, looking at new tires for the van, and on and on.
All these shots are from last Thursday here on our property and near-by.
The beaver dam is just about completed across this part of the creek. I found some Marsh Marigolds, also known as Cowslip. The leaves are wonderful cooked like spinich and eaten before the flowers appear.
Forsythia in our back yard. They have been especially pretty this year.

A female Goldfinch. I have several pair.

Also showing up on the same day is this male White Throated sparrow. I used to see them during the winter, but not this year. Sorry the pictures aren't very clear. I was shooting through a window down toward the ground.







Down on the creek trail is this lone Mallard drake. I had seen his mate for a few days, now she is missing and I think she must be setting on a nest someplace since I have seen him in this same area for a couple days all alone.

Up the road on a bridge we spotted a Great Blue Heron and of course when I stopped the van he promptly flew away.





In case anyone cares, it is snowing here tonight. The ground is covered, and the temp. is 32ยบ
Anymore we just don't talk about it! Spring will be here to stay when it is ready...
I spent 5 hours out in the cold and wind today taking pictures at the fireman's training session again. This time they burned 2 cars, and practiced entering a burning building. I nearly froze, but they were all warm enough. LOL



5 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh such pretty pictures,BUT,did you have to mention the snow? Yes spring will come to stay and turn to summer soon enough.Have great day.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

Snow! Wow. Dry, dry, dry here and warm though it may cool down a bit over the next few days. D is leaving for work after supper ... he is just doing some pre-prep work now on the computer. He will be away one more week. It always feels SO empty when he first leaves.

Sounds like you've been busy with those fire shots ... but brrrrr. Hard to manipulate the camera controls when the fingers are cold.

EG CameraGirl said...

We had a bit of snow too, Becky, but none of it stuck. Your bird photos are always so very good. I'm always impressed with how many you can identify. Your marsh marigolds are blooming already? Ours are still in bud. And yes, the forsythia has been especially beautiful here this year too!

Kala said...

Wonderful capture of the purple finch!

Mary said...

I can't believe you are still getting snow! It just boggles my mind. You have certainly been busy. I'm surprised you managed to post at all. I like the Marsh Marigolds...pretty! My forsythia seldom have any flowers. I don't know if it is because I never cut them back or what. Lovely sparrow shots!