WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Just Birds

All of these birds were either on my feeders or on our trails.
I'll try not to do much "talking"
This Brown headed Cowbird only has one good leg. Mrs. House Finch can't decide which gentleman she likes.
Song Sparrow.

Mr. and Mrs. Downey woodpecker. For once they aren't arguing!


On the creek trail one evening I heard a tap-tap high up in this willow tree. A male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker working at something.

Suddenly this female Downey woodpecker appeared and just stayed there watching him.
She didn't move and I finally left not knowing what they were up to.


Mrs. Hairy woodpecker stopped by for a bite of peanut butter

A male Robin singing his heart out.
I save all my stale bread for the Grackles beause it keeps them off my feeders. They scare away all the little birds.

This poor Robin was eating some Sumac seeds during the latest snowfall. The snow did all melt today . Let's get on with Spring now! Last week during that warm spell the Spring Peepers were out. They have to be frozen over 3 times according to the old farmers before Spring really arrives.
Were off tomorrow( maybe) to see if we can find a nest of Great Horned Owls. I'll keep you posted. I've never gotten Owl pictures.

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! That header is STUNNING Becky!! You know by now how I love orchids and that is a magnificent one.

I do hope you find the nest and can take pictures for us. What lovely birds they are.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like the House Finches,she seems to have a hard decision to make.Hope you find that owl nest.Have fun.
Blessings,Ruth

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Great photos, my sparrow come to feed on bread, but I can't take photos as good as you. They fly away as I come to the window.

Mary said...

Hope you find the owl! Hope you are done with freezes, too. These are great bird shots! What a wonderful assortment. The finches have been so noisy as they choose their mates and nest. Love the woodpeckers! I didn't see a single sapsucker this year. Poor cowbird. Beautiful header!

Gel said...

Delightful treat "chirping" onto my screen and in focus, up close and personal! I've been trying to capture bird shots recently. Our birdfeeders were taken over by racoons and the trees too tall for my shots to be in focus. These are birds in my region,too and so finely captured!