WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Yet more winter birds

All the while I was taking pictures today this Cooper's hawk sat quietly high up in a willow tree just keeping an eye on all the activity. He certainly made for some nervous birds, but it didn't stop them from eating.
When you are buried under 48" of snow what better time to watch the birds. I took lots and lots of pictures. I'll try not to talk so much so you can enjoy.



Here is a cold Tree Sparrow. Another tree Sparrow.



I was excited this afternoon to see this Eastern Towhee on my feeder. I haven't seen one in years, and never on my feeder.. This is a red eye Towhee.










A Song sparrow waits for his turn to eat.



Even a couple female Cowbirds hang around.









These two female cardinals brave the wind and cold temperatures.


Of course there are the flitting Titmouse.



I also got a picture of a Dark-eyed Junco, but forgot to post it. Another new bird for me. I'll put it in my header.
Don't go anyplace without your camera! I know this well, but I never learn! This morning I took the dog out for a short walk, ( can't go to far with all the snow), and would you believe a large flock of Tundra swans flew right over our house! They were so low that I could see their black tail feathers! Drat!

6 comments:

Arija said...

Wow, so many beautiful and fluffed up against the cold birds.
Hope you laid in a good store of hot chocolate and the fixings for mulled wine, there's nothing nicer when you have four feet of snow.

Unknown said...

Great series of photos. Boom & Gary Of the Vermilon.

Jan n Jer said...

Sure hope it stopped snowing in your neck of the woods. Thank goodness your feeding those adorable birds. Those are great shots. You sure do know your birds!
Stay warm and dont over do it shoveling snow.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your birds are cold looking in all that snow.
Blessings,Ruth

Kim, USA said...

Wow how you find all this pretty birds. Would love to walk around too but don't have a dog to accompany me -sigh- Here in MI we don't have that much (in my area) which I am so thankful ^_^. Great shots here and thanks for sharing!
My Sky

Mary said...

The snow always brings out all the birds and you sure got a bounty here! That titmouse is so cute. I love Towhee! that fluffed up Song Sparrow...lovely. and the hawk! I didn't realize the tail wa so long! Great shot of it.