WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mostly for the Birds

OK, I hear them! I finally hear them coming, BUT I can't see them. Drat ! I run to get my camera, but after a few minutes the Whoo, Whooing gets fainter. It's a large flock of Tundra ( Whistling ) Swans. They are flying so high, and way above the clouds on this overcast day. I have never gotten any photographs of them, and I'm always listening. I have heard them plenty of times, and only seen them just a few, but never any pictures.

This close up of the Mourning Dove just proves what a kind looking face it has. The male Downey woodpecker is having his breakfast.

This Blue Jay was on "High Allert" There has been a Cooper's Hawk in the neighborhood.
Another Blue Jay stopped by for a peanut. The lighting for this shot wasn't very good.
I took this photo on a ride we took yesterday morning. The sun was out, and it is supposed to rain for the next few days, so we were out enjoying the nice day. I think this picture looks like the Swiss Alps..., but they're really clouds.
Some neat reflections in the water of little pine trees.
More reflections. This is a private pond, and we often see lots of wildlife here, but nothing today.
I guess that's all for now. It's a really dreary day here. The temp. is 42ยบ, raining, and very windy. Have a wonderful Thursday, and get out and take at least one picture.

11 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I think mourning doves have gentle faces too.

Well, with the warmer rainy weather, the snow will disappear. It's dreary here too and the weather forecast is supposed to stay that way through Sunday. Yep, it's November all right. ;-)

Cicero Sings said...

Some great shots here today!

It is sunny this morning but windy. We are heading home today, to the north countree. Yippee. I just don't look forward to the drive, sigh! Maybe there will be some interesting sights along the way.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Brrr!! Looks cold to me. Such lovely birds Becky but I love the reflection pictures most.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh,yes I can see the swiss alps.I think the alert Blue Jay picture is perfect.

Unknown said...

Hi Becky, the dog and I were out on our morning walk the other day when I heard a lot of noise from above. I expected to see Canada geese but when they came into sight it was a large flock of white "geese". I had neither binoculars nor camera with me. I looked them up when I got home and am sure they were Tundra Swans. Love your pictures.
Marian

Mary said...

I just can't get my mind set for snow yet! It looks beautiful and the bird photos are very good...everyone looks very well-fed :-) Those cloud shots are great!

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful bird shots! I LOVE that dove!!!

Anonymous said...

I love mourning doves. I always feel bad when they get nudged out of the feeder by house sparrows.

It was a dreary grey day here, with a little rain. I see your snow is hanging on. It makes for pretty pictures anyway.

Sorry you missed the tundra swans. That would be something to see.

Jan said...

Wonderful photos. I'm so glad you're feeding the birds in the winter.

Judy said...

I really love the shot of the mourning dove! The way you got in so close, and we can even see the snowflakes on her!
Thank you for sharing!

dot said...

The birds look so pretty in the snow. I don't see blue jays here although I know they must be around somewhere.