WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Good Morning all. 44º here and the ever present fog, BUT it promises to be a great day.
I will be busy canning more tomatoes, and I have plenty of apples to make into sauce too. I'm sorry if I didn't get around to many of your blogs yesterday. We were gone a good share of the day, and I'm not sure where the time went. I'll do better today.
There is lots of color yet in this Goldenrod, and Joe Pye weed. The 2nd Monarch caterpillar emerged yesterday, and this was about 3PM, just moments before he appeared.
I let his wings dry for 3 hours, and then we let him go. This is on the Black-eyed Susan, and it is another male, as you can tell by the 2 black spots on the hind wings.

Lots of clouds Tuesday.

On our way back home from seeing the GMA train on Tuesday, we stopped by this country cemetery. I love cemeteries, probably because I love history and because my father was a funeral director. I used to go with him as a child to the cemetery to check out the grave sites before a funeral. Also Gary and I have spent many, many hours in the past few years scouting cemeteries doing a genealogy on my Dad's family that came over from Ireland in 1851.
In this cemetery there were some really COOL mushrooms. This one looks like a soft chair seat.
This one was my favorite. It looks like a Leprechaun's hat complete with the hatband , buckle, and necktie.
How about a Mexican sombrero some pretty flowers, and even a baby mushroom by it's side.
This one has seen better days. Still neat I think.
In this cemetery was the grave of a 19 year old Civil War soldier killed at the battle of Gettysburg July 23rd. 1863.
More grave sites, and the beautiful Hydrangeas that I will post tomorrow. There were some gorgeous flowers in this cemetery.

6 comments:

Michele said...

How delightful are those mushrooms! Wonderful photographs and the Monarch is beautiful!

Mary said...

How neat to see another monarch appear! The mushroom shots are great. Interesting about the cemeteries and your dad. I work part time on a genealogy site started by one of our local funeral directors. He kept an amazing amount of records!

Anonymous said...

We spend a lot of time checking out cemeteries, as both my husband and I have been doing our genealogy for several years. I remember standing by a marker in a cemetery in Indiana three years ago. My husband had finally made a link with his paternal side, and the sudden realization that we were standing where they had stood, as they buried their loved one years ago.

EG CameraGirl said...

The toadstools are wonderful! I love how many there are this time of year.

I'm so excited that you watched a monarch emerge from its chrysalis... AND that you knew it was a male. I didn't know about the two black spots on the hind wing so LEARNED something interesting today. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love the mushroom photos -- and your captions/descriptions are perfect.

Kerri Farley said...

Wow! Your monarch shot is absolutely fabulous! Picture postcard perfect! And I LOVE the mushrooms. Great post!!