WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Good Morning. Another foggy start to the day. So what else is new.. The temp is already 57º, and it promises to be a hot one.
Yesterday morning I checked on our apple trees, and found so many nice apples laying on the ground, so thought I'd better get busy and make a pie. This one is from the McIntosh tree. There are the Northern Spy too, but they aren't ripe yet. The Red Delicious doesn't have as many this year, but that's fine. It will be enough for us to eat, and will make delicious Waldorf salads.. On my walk in the afternoon, these are some Crab apples from the white Flowering Crab tree.
Later as I strolled down the Llama trail, I saw this bug. He didn't want his picture taken, and hurried away.


I just can't resist these Milkweed Tiger caterpillars. They actually look like they are made with black and gold colored yarn.
Burdock.
I completed the Llama trail without seeing anything else, and went on to the Creek trail. I have learned to move very slowly because there is most always some kind of critter down there. I first saw these Wood ducks swimming across on the opposite side of the creek. They did spot me, but didn't fly away right away.

As I walked along a very large Great Blue Heron flew up the creek. He never spotted me. I waited till he landed, and sneaked ever closer, BUT as usual, he was on high alert and I wasn't able to get any pictures before he took off. Oh well, maybe next time.
It looks like the Beavers have returned after a few years giving us a rest. This dam is only partially completed, and wasn't there 2 days ago. It's on the main creek, and if we should get any high water, it will wash out all their work. Wouldn't you think they would know this? We have plenty of Aspen trees for them to munch on, so I'll keep a look out for any more progress.
Continuing report on the Monarch Chrysalis. I'm checking on it several times a day now. There has been some change, and according to the dates it should emerge tomorrow. I just hope I can watch it happen. Yesterday on the Creek trail, I found another Monarch caterpillar, so I rounded up another pretzel jar, and have this one next to the first. Will keep you up-dated. I have them both in my greenhouse. It is warmer than the house especially if we have the AC on. I only get direct sun in the GH in the morning for 2 hours, so it doesn't get too hot in there. The rest of the day it's bright.
Don't ya just love the gold and green color?

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oooo...that pie looks yummy! Guess I'll have to head to the local orchard. Lovely walk and that chrysalis is exciting.....doesn't look ready yet....not very thin.

Anonymous said...

I just used up some apples last night, making waldorf salad.

Thanks for taking me on your daily walks. I hope to be able to get out for a short walk this weekend.

Cicero Sings said...

"Body, Soul and Spirit" has a great post up about Monarch Chrysalis as well ... even a video ...if you haven't already seen it, it can be found here:

http://bodysoulandspirit.blogspot.com/2008/09/monarch-transformation.html

Oh, I love pies of all sorts. Maybe I'll make one for D for when he gets home on Friday!

me ann my camera said...

I love hearing of the update of your Monarch. Hope you get to see it unfold! although I didn't get to captre it on pictures this time I had observed it with the one I had raised a couple of years ago.