WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Good foggy morning all. It's only 36º here at 6AM. We picked almost all the tomatoes last night just in case. Warmer weather is on the way, so we've been spared for the time being.
We spent a good share of the day yesterday waiting for the GMA Whistle Stop train to roll past our favorite train watching area. Of course it was late but we were determined. At first we saw the helicopters that were traveling with the train.
Here it comes! This is the only picture I got ! I had decided to take a video, and apparently didn't have the correct setting on my camera, and the video was very blurry. Not good. Anyway we got to see it. There was no one on the back car waving to anybody either, but at over 60 miles per hour I guess that was too much to expect. The train was beautiful. Three special Amtrak locomotives, 6 passenger cars, and on the end of the train were two antique Pennsylvania railroad passenger cars from the executive Business train that is based out of Juniata, Pennsylvania, not far from Altoona. We saw and photographed this beautiful Business train ( made up of all old refurbished Pennsylvania Railroad passenger cars and locomotives ) when we were on vacation last summer. It is used to carry important people , and also used for track inspection. It has a platform on the last car where someone can ride getting a better look at the tracks, or can wave to the crowds.
While we waited there was plenty of other rail traffic.
Have a good day, and tomorrow I have some REALLY cool mushrooms to post.

6 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

OHHH, too bad about the poor photos. But hey! You still have the memories. I look forward to you mushroom photos. ;-)

Mary said...

I'm sure it was beautiful and it is too bad you didn't get a picture, but you saw it and that is what really counts. How many hours a day do you and Gary watch trains? I was reluctantly watching one yesterday with another crossing more tracks behind me...trapped in the middle.

me ann my camera said...

I like trains too, having grown up in a railroad town. The busy days of rail traffic is now over through in this area and the most I see now is just one or two freight trains going through each day. Whenever I hear an old train whistle I feel very nostalgic. Two of my brothers were locomotive engineers and a third was a trainman. They are all retired now.

I always enjoy your train posts.

Becky said...

Mary
Gary and I usually only go once maybe twice a week. It's a 30 mile round trip, and will also depend on the weather. I pack us a lunch and we normally stay about 2 hours depending how many trains are passing through, and what other kinds of activity is going on. Sometimes it's really busy and we might stay longer, and then there are dead days when we only stay a half hour or so. We like it when we get stuck at a crossing while one is going through. LOL.
Ann
I think the rail traffic has picked up some around here, although there can be slow days too. We've noticed Mondays seem to be track maintenance day, and the traffic will be slow. How cool to have railroad folks in your family.

Michele said...

Ah... I'm sorry you missed out on the video but I'm glad you were able to still see it. These pictures are still fine!!
We live in a high train use area in Eastern BC and Alberta so we are constantly being interrupted in traffic by trains which can be annoying at times or just by shopping in stores you can literally feel the floor shake as a line of cars slide past and the rumble can sometimes annoy the eardrums and feel like your skull is going to fall out... LOL! I can never get used to that!! I'm glad I don't live too close to the rails but I do hear the train whistles all the time, thankfully only until early evenings!
Mountain Retreat

Anonymous said...

What a shame your video didn't work out for you. I got lost here in your blog, looking at your beautiful photos. I loved the flowers, mushrooms, ALL of it. :-)I think I've nearly taken up residency. :-)