WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What a beautiful day it was yesterday. We had to make a run to Erie, and while we were there we drove out to the South Pier, along the channel that leads from the Bay out to Lake Erie. It was a super day for pictures. I have many more, but I'll save them for tomorrow. It is raining here this morning, 57º and promises to be a yucky day. I don't know if I'll get out or not.
This first shot we see a sailboat headed out to the Lake. The watercraft's have to travel really slow in the channel, and can't cause any wakes. There were plenty of sea gulls everywhere.
This worker was high up on one of the channel markers changing a light bulb.
After I uploaded this picture I noticed this sea gull has only one foot. Maybe an accident with a turtle or caught in a fishing line, or just born that way.
Another shot of "One Foot"
Perry Monument across the channel, which is a memorial to Admiral Oliver Hazzard Perry who was commander of the US fleet that fought during the battle of Lake Erie in 1813.
U.S. Coast Guard Station.
We stopped and talked to this lady that was fishing. She was having a good day, and told us she had caught lots of Perch, and one Bass that she had to throw back because it was too small. The really small Perch she caught she fed to this sea gull standing near her. You can see he is patiently waiting.
This is that same gull .
On the opposite side from the channel, the water isn't all that clean, and contains lots of Lily pads, but I didn't see any flowers.
OK, that's all for today. Stop back tomorrow, and I'll show you more from our walk.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Everytime you mention Lake Erie, it brings back a flood of memories from my childhood with relatives in Huron, Ohio. I still think Lake Erie perch are the best fish I've ever eaten.

Michele said...

Great photos... it's nice of that lady to treat that gull! Lucky gull, that's for sure! Beautiful run down on your day... it looks quite pleasant!
~Michele~