These nifty clouds brought in some gloomy skies.
Yesterday afternoon it cleared up for about 2 hours, and as soon as the kids got home from school we released the first Monarch butterfly. Here they are watching it clinging to a weed.
Right before taking flight. This is a male Monarch seen by the 2 black scent glands ( spots ) on the hind wing.
When the sun did shine Gary spotted this swarm of bugs hanging around in the warm sunlight.
A closer look at the bugs.
This is the 2nd. Monarch caterpillar. I found him on Sept. 3rd, and as of yesterday at 7 PM he was still eating.
At 5 minutes to 6 this morning he was hanging in the "J "position preparing to form a chrysalis

6 comments:
Wow....what terrific shots! How did you photograph those swarming bugs?? That sunrise is beautiful. You are doing great with the Monarchs and I didn't even get back to the arboretum to see if any of those 6 I saw had made chrysalises...drat. Now I have to wait until this Thursday and it is probably too late. I have some trains and tracks tomorrow just for you :-)
Mary
Gary actually spotted those bugs swarming in the sunlight. I took the picture through our bay window, and they were about 25 yards away. They just stayed there for a few minutes. I sure hope they aren't mosquitoes.
Thanks for the comments on the Monarchs. I haven't tried this before, and even I haven't photographed any till this year, all thanks to my wonderful blogging "friends" I have learned so much from everyone.
We'll be waiting to see the train pictures. We can never get enough of them..
I have been looking everywhere for one of these caterpillars....haven't seen them anywhere! Your header shot is FABULOUS!
My camera critter post: http://www.kreationsbykerri.blogspot.com/
wow I love all these pictures and so cool on the caterpillar / butterfly Just beautiful...
oh yeah I love your header pic too!
NEAT pictures!
You didn't get any of the outer edge of the Hanna effect, did you? We had rain from it on Friday night into Saturday morning, but it quickly blew through.
The weather patterns here are not predictable to ME yet--and I would think you'd be too far west to get my weather. But we might get some of yours, particularly in the winter, after you get it, depending on the jet stream?
Post a Comment