The railroad cars coming up from Kentucky and West Virginia bring the coal to the Ashtabula Harbor. Here they are emptied and the coal is carried across the harbor on conveyor belts and here is a huge bull-dozer that levels this gigantic coal pile.
WOODYNOOK CREATIONS
Monday, March 30, 2009
Day Trip #3
This will be the 3rd in a series of a day trip we took to Ashtabula, Ohio along the shores of Lake Erie.
The railroad cars coming up from Kentucky and West Virginia bring the coal to the Ashtabula Harbor. Here they are emptied and the coal is carried across the harbor on conveyor belts and here is a huge bull-dozer that levels this gigantic coal pile.
The apparatus in the rear of the picture loads the coal into lake freighters to be shipped on the Great Lakes.
This shot shows just how mammoth this coal pile is and how small the dozer now looks. Up close this dozer is over 8ft. high.
This is another shot taken from in back of the Marine museum. We'll go back when it is open after Memorial Day.
Nautical effect along the parking lot.
This is the lift bridge I posted yesterday. It is being repaired right now, and the cars aren't allowed on it. They will raise it for tall boats however.
Another shot of the bridge. In the background you can see a long line of black coal cars loaded with coal. These are at least 6-8 cars deep.
Lots of pleasure boats waiting for better weather, will travel under the lift bridge and be on their way out to Lake Erie.
The railroad cars coming up from Kentucky and West Virginia bring the coal to the Ashtabula Harbor. Here they are emptied and the coal is carried across the harbor on conveyor belts and here is a huge bull-dozer that levels this gigantic coal pile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
There is definitely enough coal there for a day or two I would say. :)
What a lovely old house. It has a story or two to tell us all right.
It sounds like a really interesting place with a lot going on there.
Sorry about the snow. I heard that word in our forecast for today too. Right now it's raining.
That is some big equipment and a LOT of coal! Great shots to tell the story. Love that house and the neat finial! We had a little frost last night, but not bad enough to kill anything...now headed back up to the 60's.
I like all of the things that go.
Vancouver has a coal port too ... in a place called Tsawwassen, right near the ferry terminals over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. We often see coal trains snaking their way down through the Fraser Canyon on their way to the coast.
I can't believe how tall those piles of coal are! How nice to see the beautiful Victorian house so well cared for.
Are the crocus in your header flowering now? I'm sure they must be and I'm envious. Snowflakes are falling in my yard right now.
Joan
I'm sure it has a great story especially if it was there during all the wars on the lakes.
Jan
Well we got 2" of it last night and some pretty nasty winds. It was supposed to reach 40º today, but so far it's only 31º
Mary
We have yet to see 60º. Oh how I would love it. Things were just beginning to bud here. Now they'll be on hold for a while again.
Mike
You surely would like this place. Lots of things coming and going. That dozer was scary though. He got really close to the edge of that coal pile.
Cicero
We see a few coal trains here, but not so many. The farther south you go the more you will see.
EG
That Victorian house is beautiful. I don't know who lives there, but they do take good care of it. Yes, those Crocus' are blooming right now, and as we speak they are covered with 2" of SNOW ! Lets hope you don't get too much.
I love the house and the big equipment and the swans and every thing. I am sorry I have been so lazy or as I said on My Space I think I have been in a state of supended animation and it time I woke up.
~~Hugs~~
Fantastic pictures! I especially like the ones of the bridge.
That sure is a lot of coal! And I love that Victorian house. Sure is good-looking.
Bobbie
Post a Comment