WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, March 12, 2009

I hit the jack-pot yesterday morning. Our son called around 9AM saying there was a large flock of swans in the flooded field next to his shop. He said " You better get up here right away". We got in the van and drove to the spot to see 60 or 70 Tundra Swans all together on the water. I've never seen this many in one place before, and I'm thinking the reason is that the wind was so strong Tuesday night and on Wednesday that they probably needed to rest. Believe me I was excited. The only time I've ever seen Tundra's is way up in the sky when they are migrating.. No more talking, I'll just let you look at the pictures.



When I took these shots I didn't realize the trees in the background were full of Starlings!

We checked a small lake near us, and saw 3 pair of Common Mergansers. This is a male, and the only one close.
This lake still has ice with water on top.
These swans were on Findley Lake in a bit of open water. We saw about 15 here.
This is how far away the flock was.
The temperature has dropped to 28ยบ after temps in the 50's Tuesday night. Tomorrow some sun maybe. We'll see, and lets hope these winds stops!

9 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh WOW!! What luck!! Great shots too Becky. Now if they would just stay there permanently.

Anonymous said...

That's exciting Becky! I'm glad they stuck around for you to get some photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

WOW Becky! This is quite the find. Fantastic!

The winds were high here yesterday too...but I didn't get any great photos like these.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fabulous!That is quite the wingspan.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Wow...you really hit the jackpot! How nice to have a son who knows you would want to come see these! You got some great shots and I love the new header. You always have such neat headers, I hate to see one go away, even though a new neat one takes its place! Colder here, too.

Jeri ~ said...

Wow that is so cool. We have 2 swans on our pond that we acquired from a bird sanctuary, and I do love them, they are such a beautiful bird. You were very fortunate to get photos of so many, well done.

dot said...

You lucky goose to get these beautiful swans! I love the one with it's wings spread.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures of the swans! Very exciting!

Kerri Farley said...

You definitely hit the Jackpot! I would love to see Swans like those. They are lovely! I LOVE the shot you have of the one spreading its wings out!!