WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pymatuning State Park

On Friday we drove to Pymatuning State Park in Pennsylvania. There they have several large and small lakes. In one area between 2 of the lakes is a spillway. The area around the spillway is full of huge Carp. During the summer months the Carp will literally come out of the water after food thrown to them by tourists. There will also be 100's and 100's of Canada Geese fighting for the food too and they will walk on the backs of the fish trying to steal it away from them. On Friday it was sunny but really chilly, and the Carp weren't moving all that fast. There were some Geese, but not like during warmer weather. Also present were Mallard ducks, and Ringed Sea Gulls.


We had nothing but Rice cakes to feed them, and it wasn't high on their list of priority's.

Can you tell the Geese don't like the Gulls very much?
I liked the shadow of the head and neck on the water.

This goose could be using this feather as a sail. LOL

Another interesting shadow.
What happened to this guy's head?

I have lots more pictures, but this is enough for now. Stay tuned for more.. HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY!

10 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It seems like a great fishing spot Michele or is carp not one of the nicest fish to eat? Here fishermen usually throw them back as they say they taste muddy.

Becky said...

Joan
Carp aren't really a good tasting fish. They are bottom feeders and who know what they eat.
Becky

Anonymous said...

We saw hundreds of Canada geese yesterday too, but I think the snow geese outnumbered them. The area is just south of the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge, and I think that was the draw for them.
My uncle used to fish for carp, for fun, with canned corn, then throw them back.

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE the new blog look! The header is AWESOME!
My favorite shot is the bench and the goose with the "sail" feather.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fascinating pictures.The gulls lined up along the fence look neat.I can see where this is a place to spend lots of time with your camera.Looking forward to more pictures.By the way,I like the new look of the blog.
Blessings,Ruth

Michele said...

It is amazing how many gulls and geese there are! But I guess with the folks freely handing out food, the population of birds must be enormous!
I like the goose with the feather sail... hehehe... cute! =)
Great photos!

Hug♥

Cicero Sings said...

Some interesting shots! I especially like the 2nd and 3rd from last.

Mary said...

What wonderful flight shots of the gulls! This is a great post...so much to see! I like that shadow, too and that feather...LOL!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Thats what I thought Becky. Thanks for the info.

BNS said...

Looked like that Canada Goose was about to loose that feather. Too bad you couldn't have snagged it for a souvenir.

Bobbie