Yesterday we watched both granddaughters while their parents went on a motorcycle ride with friends. We took them to see the trains at the Lake Shore Railroad Historical Society. We let them climb on the trains on display, and then we took them out to lunch.
On our way we went by this old 1800's school house surrounded by grapes. The grapes in our area have done very well this year, and should yield a good crop.
Becca ( on top), and Jalyn.
This is just one of the cars we toured on display. 

This is a stainless sink in one of the sleeping areas. There was bed, sink, chair, and very small bathroom.
Here is the pull down bed. The girls got a kick out of this one.
The end of the train is the smoking car.
We will have more pictures of our outing on Gary's blog "Steam across the Trestle"http://steamacrossthetrestle.blogspot.com/ later today.
5 comments:
What cute granddaughters you have! We always enjoyed taking our kids on little train excursions wherever we found them. The one I remember best was the Arcade and Attica line, when I was 8 and a half months pregnant with my son.
Great photos and I bet the girls really enjoyed it. Trains are so intersting! It's a shame that train travel isn't as popular as it once was. We could use a nice alternative to planes and cars. Some day I will have to take an Amtrak trip. A friend just did and loved it. Mike might have trouble with the size of the bunks :-)
jan
We've been on the Arcade an Attica many times. The last trip was just last summer. It's so enjoyable, but the track is so curvy and uneven, that I can't imagine riding being 8 1/2 mos. pregnant.
Good thing you didn't need help way out there.
Mary
I agree with you. The passenger traffic is picking up some in our area but not enough yet. Some friends took the Autotrain to Florida last winter, and even though it only took 16 hours the lady did have trouble with the confines of the bunks. Plus she said there was just too much noise to get any sleep. I guess they were on the end of the row, and next to a stairs where people were coming and going all night.I'ts not cheap either and if you want food it's more $. I looked up all the prices. I think I'd try it though if I had the chance. We would have to drive to Northern Virginia to pick it up, and that's a good 8 hours from us.. A short trip would be great too, and I believe you can get one from Altoona, Pa to Johnstown, Pa through the Horseshoe Curve.
Qutie fun post and those granddaughters are adorable!! They seemed to enjoy posing for that photos... sweet! I will check out that link!
Mountain Retreat
Becky, good luck with the Monarch. Isn't it amazing how it changes so suddenly. One day a caterpillar, then it bundles itself up and disappears.
I remember the old 'smoking cars' on trains. I used to enjoy the environment of these as a change from the seating arrangement in the coaches.
Sweet little granddaughters!
Post a Comment