WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Good Morning. It was only 37º here at 6AM, and so it begins. All the signs are sneaking up on us. Getting dark earlier in the evening, and staying dark later in the morning. Cooler temperatures. Leaves turning. gardens dying out and so on. I don't think I'm ready!
On my walk yesterday afternoon I came upon this jumping spider. He wasn't friendly at all. As a matter of fact he kept lounging at me while I was trying to take his picture. . He has some kind of fangs in the front that he kept opening and closing. At one point I lost sight of him, and next thing I knew he had jumped on my camera! I blew him off, and he scurried to the ground. Vines growing up a big willow tree.

We have lots of these ground ant mounds. Must be that's why the Northern Flickers hang around here.
More of these cute little Milkweed Tiger Moth caterpillars munching on Milkweed leaves. They move very fast.
Katydid. I almost missed this guy with his camo color.
Thistles

I was so focused on this black and orange insect I failed to see the little red ones till after I downloaded the photo! Maybe they are babies ? ? There is another insect peeking over the top left of the milkweed pod too that I didn't spot. It's a good thing I'm getting my new glasses today! LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate those jumping spiders! I pretty much don't like any spiders. Canada geese flew overhead here today, always a sign that summer is giving way to fall.

Gayle said...

All I can think of is "you've got to be kidding?!". First of all, you see a jumping spider and you don't run? Then you take it photo as it bares its fangs to you? And it jumped on you?! I would freak completely out. That guy there is exactly why I live in Alaska! No jumping spiders here.

Mary said...

What a neat bunch of bugs! You got wonderful shots of all of them. I don't like jumping spiders! Do you think they call them that because they jump or because we do :-)