WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, August 31, 2008

LLAMA TRAIL PART #2

Mary has asked about where the name for the Llama Trail came from. Here is an aerial view taken about 10 years ago of our home. Behind the barn you might be able to see a dark pond, and behind that French Creek.
To the right of the barn is an A frame chicken coop. What you can't see is the Llama Trail. It skirts the Northeast perimeter of our property way to the right of the picture. I chose that name because I love llamas and used to own 3 of them. I used to walk them on this trail, and although I no longer have them the name for the trail still sticks.
The Pond trail connects with the Llama Trail and runs behind the barn from right to left along and behind the back yard. You can't see it either. The third trail we call the Creek Trail goes down to the Creek connecting with the Pond trail way to the left of the picture and out of view. We no longer have the Motorhome. Too expensive to gas it up! All the lumber out behind the garage is for building a wood shed to house our winter supply of firewood. For the first 10 years we lived here we kept it outside. That was a real panic when it got wet and froze. Now it's inside and dry. The trees have all gotten bigger, and you can barely see the house from the road anymore. This Ladybug was on a mission and crawling along really fast.
Thistle from above.
As I walk along I see hundreds of Touch-Me-Nots.
Then I hear 3 flocks of Canada Geese honking. They spend lots of time in the fields eating grass.
All of a sudden I hear that familiar AWK of the Great Blue Heron. Knowing I'll never get close to him I didn't even turn on the camera, BUT would you believe it he landed in the top of a tree, and just sat there. Even though he was far away, and it was foggy out, I felt fortunate to at least get this much. I've never seen one in a tree before.
Now get a look at these guys! They appeared on my feeder yesterday. There was 5 of them, and they all came together. They look like young Cowbirds. Pretty cool !

Mourning Dove- Young and Innocent.
Mourning Dove- Mature and Wiser.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Love all your photos, and now, if I'm flying over, I'll be able to spot your home. Fun post.

Anonymous said...

Your home seems the perfect spot to be a nature observer with pond and creek, trees and trail. Thanks for taking me along on your walk! Hope you're having nice weekend.

Michele said...

All of your photos were such a delight to see. The little ladybug racing along the leaf was cute. The flowers were so pretty... I love the tour of the trail! Well done!
Mountain Retreat

Mary said...

Thanks for the explaination! How cool to have owned llamas. I see some not far from where we live and keep thinking I should stop and take photos, but I'd have to pull into their driveway. I like your young birds :-) Those cowbirds look so "gawky" and the young dove so sweet. I've got lots of touch-me-nots, too but not ready for popping yet. Glad you got the Great Heron shot! I don't think I've seen one in a tree either.