WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, August 16, 2008

On my walk yesterday I first heard them,and then saw a flock of Canada geese beginning their flight training for the youngsters. This happens every year about this time. As long as French Creek stays open during the winter the geese will hang around, but just in case it freezes over, they want the kids to know how to fly in formation. It is so funny to listen to the lead goose. It sounds like he's shouting "ROW, ROW, ROW". An unopened Glad blossom. It's about the only flower the Japanese beetles haven't eaten.
This Grasshopper is safe for now. Yesterday I actually saw Azrael eating one! YUK!

I think this is the same Fritillary Butterfly I saw 2 days ago, and I don't know which one it is. They all look similar. I think it is the Aphrodite.

The Hibiscus that the beetles didn't eat.

I tried to get all the birds sitting on top of this old silo, but of course they all flew away.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I guess we all need some training in flying in formation and listening to the leader. Must be fun watching them. I like that glad bud! Aren't Japanese Beetles terrible? I try to minimize their favorite plants (maybe this is why I have little blooming right now). I've seen so many wild grapevines that are just turned to lace by them. I think the fact that the birds flew away in the final picture made it a good!

Kerri Farley said...

Great shots! I have been hearing the geese fly over our house every evening. Maybe they are training their young ones.

Michele said...

Beautiful photos and even though you didn't get the birds sitting still in the last shot, still a very good photo of them in flight! Very good photography!

me ann my camera said...

The photo of the old silo is beautiful! I love old, aging buildings and the birds flying towards it is the perfect photo setting.