WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Good Morning. Mostly clear skies with lots of jet contrails everywhere. Temps. in the 80's again for today.
This Blue Jay appeared right outside my computer room window yesterday morning. He never did eat any seed, and I have peanuts out for them, but apparently he wasn't all that hungry. He kept looking at me maybe trying to tell me something like "How do you like this hair-do?" "Can you see me now?"
"See, I don't have many head feathers."

This is a Milkweed Tiger moth caterpillar. They are about 1" long and can move very fast. I've seen quite a few this summer, but haven't seen the moth yet.
On my afternoon walk I found a white female Gypsy moth laying an egg case.
My one and only Sunflower.
Walking along the creek I spotted some minnows. While I was there a Belted Kingfisher swooped down from a bushy tree, hit the water, caught a small fish and was gone in a flash.
These ducks were on the creek again, I've studied them and decided they might be non breeding Wood ducks.

6 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Your gypsy moth picture is very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice of the Blue Jay to pop by and say hello. I like your sunflower, too. Wonderful pictures! We've had rainy conditions all week, but today we had some sunshine, which enticed me into the garden. Hope it continues for a while longer.

Mary said...

Funny bluejay! He needs to meet my bald female cardinal...a match made in heaven. I like that caterpillar...so frilly! That is a beautiful sunflower...now just wait for the goldfinches to pick it clean :-) How cool to see a kingfisher catch a fish! Those are interesting ducks...non-breeding??

Kerri Farley said...

Great shots! And seeing a Belted Kingfisher in action must have been AWESOME!!

I wonder if that Blue Jay was a juvenile?? or maybe molting?

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Hi..you did do a blue jay post. How funny, the birds could be siblings. I wanted to let you know that I think the two wood ducks are young ducks. The second one looks like a little male just starting to get the facial markings. I can't really see the face of the first one to see what it is. I have some wood duck photos on my blog that look like them I think. --Michelle--

RamblingWoods2.com said...

I found my wood duck/duckling post
Wood Ducks