There are the blue eggs from my new chickens. (the folks I bought them from gave me a dozen ) If you read my post from yesterday, I got 8 chickens to replace my others that were getting up in years. These chickens are originally from Chili in South America. They lay eggs from light blue to sometimes olive
green, and I have had some in the past that even layed a light pink color. but mostly the blue. There is no difference in nutritional value, and no difference in the color of the yolks. I used to blow out the insides and Tole paint on the shells. They make great Christmas gifts to hang on a tree.
I have a large chain link fenced in area for them that includes their coop. 5 of them spent the night in the coop (smart girls), but the other 3 were not to be found.. I searched last night in the dark with a flashlight for them, but to no avail. This morning I spotted 2 of them roosting in one of our apple trees. The last 1 appeared from nowhere on the front lawn and I shooed her in the pen. At last they are all together. I did clip their wings ( only on one side) which is supposed to keep them from flying too well, but apparently I need to clip again. We have raccoons around here, and they love chicken so I really don't want these girls wandering around outside of their pen.
Around 6:30 last evening we had a hard rain. It seemed to come from out over Lake Erie, and we got drenched in a very short time. This picture was taken after the storm had passed. 




2 comments:
What pretty eggs. I would love to have chickens, but we live in suburbia. Kind of chilly here this morning. It looks more like an autumn sky here.
Oh, what neat eggs!! Love the "after the storm" sky....aren't those often the lovliest?!
And that last shot of the Monarch on the coneflower...beautiful! I posted a butterfly today...and it looks VERY similar to yours...but I wasn't sure if it was a Monarch or a Viceroy.
Post a Comment