WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, August 30, 2008

VIEWS FROM THE LLAMA TRAIL

This is the first of a 2 part walk I took yesterday on our llama trail. These are just some of the sights.
I originally posted this group on the 26th, and the"babies" were really small. I'm wondering if this is the same family now all grown up? It is on the same Milkweed plant. Goldenrod
A gall on the goldenrod. Inside this gall is a fly larva.
Fly larvae will hatch from the eggs in about 10 days. The larvae will immediately begin to eat from inside the stem of the goldenrod. The saliva of the larvae has a chemical in it which causes the plant to grow abnormally, creating a ball-shaped "gall" that the larvae live in.
Sumac close-up.
I don't know what this is, but it's about the size of a golf ball.
Wild grapes high up in the tree.
It looks like the mice have moved in for the winter.
Another Jumping Spider. This one didn't jump on my camera. He is very tiny about the size of a BB.
Last but not least I dug up these potatoes for supper . It's just like opening a Christmas present. You're not sure what's in there.
More pictures from the Llama trail tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mary said...

When you post more pictures tomorrow explain the llama trail...are there llamas?? Why is it called that. These photos are gorgeous. Each one is a gem! I always think that galls are interesting and that one is so perfectly round. Love the family of bugs! The spidery plant is pretty, whatever it is. I've never looked at summac closely and didn't realize it looked like that...will have to inspect some. The potatoes look wonderful...what a nice present for you!

Mary said...

Becky there is a great train shot on this blog from yesterday. http://eastgwillimburywow.blogspot.com/

EG CameraGirl said...

You have a fun blog! I'll be back. ;-)

Michele said...

These are great photos from the Llama trail.. looking forward to more!!
Mountain Retreat