WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Friday, August 8, 2008

What a weird day it is today. It really looks like Fall! So many BIG Cumulus clouds looking like anything you can imagine. Some white, some black, and some gray. About an hour ago it poured so hard for about 3 minutes, then out came the sun again.
This is the Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillar. I took this picture in 1987 at a campgrounds that we were staying at 45 miles from here. The caterpillar is on a huge mushroom. When this creature is disturbed it emits a lemony odor not at all appealing to the would be attacker. It also has large "eyes" which are right behind the actual eyes making it look bigger than it really is that will help to scare off any predators.. This is the Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly. I found him in the grass yesterday afternoon. Since he is so clean and does not have tattered wings I suspect he is newly emerged

I only got a couple pictures before he took off and flew straight up. I watched him fly out of sight way up into thin air.
A Purple Finch youngster. Some of these kids look so funny with their spotty colors. I have seen tons of Purple Finches, but never one like this.
Goldfinch eating on Chicory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the clouds. It looked like a late autumn sky as I left work today, and it's definitely cool!

Michele said...

I'm hoping for a bit of cloud coverage tomorrow as I'm thinking that may be some cooler weather coming this way.... it's been hot for a very long time!
Love your bird shots! Very well done! You have a sharp eye for the critters of the wild! =)

me ann my camera said...

How lucky you were to capture the spice tail caterpillar! That is a wonderful picture and is especially enjoyable to me for we do not have that species in our region.

Mary said...

Love the new header shot...beautiful color! We've had lots of clouds, too and I just love photographing them! That caterpillar is interesting...those eyes look so real! I've never seen a purple finch youngster and the color is really interesting...glad you posted that! Didn't know that goldfinches like chickory! Will have to look for that. I saw some on thistles yesterday.