WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Good Morning to all. I'm getting a late start this morning for some reason. I had lots of laundry I wanted to get done because I'm going to can more tomatoes this morning. It's fairly cloudy right now and really cool again. It was 44º when I got up at 6AM.
This Chipping sparrow youngster is still begging food. He must be from a later brood. They are just so darn cute!
The sunrise this morning was spectacular!
It was all gone in about 7-8 minutes..
Yesterday morning this Mourning Dove was sunning itself on the edge of one of the bird feeders roof.
The Gypsy Moth egg case. See earlier posts from last Saturday Aug. 23rd for photos of the Moth laying the eggs. I will most likely destroy this batch as the Gypsy Moth does great damage to our trees in this area. Some of the trees they will defoliate are: Oak, Crab apple, Beech, Willow, Birch, Hawthorn, and Sweet gum all of which are local.

6 comments:

Jan said...

These are all wonderful images. I just love the brilliant sunrise.

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Aren't the chipping sparrows so cute? I saw one pair this year feeding a cowbird, but more feeding their own. The doves sit and sun here too.

I couldn't find anything on beak or claw being an indication of age. I will have to ask on my Cornell birding list.

Anonymous said...

I love chipping sparrows. I usually have at least three flitting about the yard. Your sunrise is beautiful. I have been sleeping in more than usual since surgery, so I miss them.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! The chipping sparrows are a delight, and your sunrise picture is breathtaking! Hope you are having a good canning day. :)

me ann my camera said...

Becky,that is a great header picture of the Monarch caterpillar. You have spectacular skies in your area I think!

Mary said...

I missed these! Love the babies when they beg. So cute! The sky shots are great! Wow..what a sunrise! That Gypsy moth egg case is interesting...never seen one. Don't blame you for destroying it! We've got a lot of trouble right now with web worms in our trees.