Late Saturday evening another storm headed our way.
We got a pretty violent thunder and lightening storm with lots of marble sized hail. Here you can see it hitting our woodshed roof.
Bless their hearts, the Orioles are still here. They have never stayed this long, and the kids are sticking close by too. I had forgotten to put out the grape jelly and this guy was reminding me. This suet feeder is really close to my computer room window, and he wanted me to know they were HUNGRY. I'm all out of jelly though, and they'll have to settle for oranges. ( which they did and they seem happy again).We bought birdseed last week, and I was shocked to see how much the price has jumped. I remember when Oil Sunflower seed was $9.00 for a 50 lb. bag. Now it is up to $28.00. I like to give the birds a treat, and get raw sunflower seeds from the Amish bulk food store for fairly cheap, and I don't hand out too much at a time.



5 comments:
My goodness, you sure are getting some nasty storms your way, aren't you!?! That's quite the shot of the hail on the roof!
Great photo of the Orioles... I'm happy they settled for the oranges!
The red hibiscus is pretty, sad to hear about the pink one though... those beetles are sure a pest!!
Take care.
Mountain Retreat
Beautiful Oriole...I'd love to see one! How do you put the grape jelly out and how do you keep ants and such out of it? I've been curious about that! Nice train...will have to take a picture of the L&N next time I'm stuck at the crossing :-) My husbands grandpa was a train engineer!
Mary, I bought a hanging feeder and removed the plastic sides that hold in the seed. That left me with an open platform, and I just put in a small glass dish with the jelly. As for the "critters", I have more problems with flies and wasps than ants. Sometimes I put vaseline on the pole take holds the feeder, and that will deter ants. The Orioles will scare away the flies and wasps when they land.
We'd love to see train pictures from your area. I'm wondering if you live very far from Fostoria, Ohio. It looks like it's about 100 miles from the Indiana border, and is supposed to be a premier train watching spot.
Thanks, Becky! I guess an ant guard would be hung like for hummingbird feeders, too. Wrong side of the state....I'm in the southwest "toe" of Indiana..Evansville. I have family in northern Ohio and have been to a train museum somewhere up north years ago. I think I have been through Fostoria. will check that out. We have a big L&N train yard here along the river, but I don't go down there. Will see if Mike would like to show me around or where to go to take pictures:-)
You're right about these mornings being so chilly! Is it still summer? As far as seed prices go, I have definitely cut back on my feeding. I only offer sunflower seed now, and more sparingly than last year. The last 50# bag I bought was $23, and we shopped around for that price.
Post a Comment