WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Good Morning everybody. This morning it is slightly foggy 48º , but lots of blue sky, and some clouds yet.
Oh, the pungent odor of liquid cow manure. Better known as slurry, it permeates every object within it's reach! When you live in the country and you live near dairy farms you get to expect this phenomenon every year about this time after the crops have been harvested. It's not a very pleasant smell and gets spread on all the fields but then again givin the fact of the wide open spaces we enjoy, we wouldn't trade it for anything.
Now onto my post for today. Two years ago we attended a weekend of activity in a small town near here dedicated to the Underground Railroad. We have always been interested in anything associated with the UR since there are many places around the Erie and Northwestern Pennsylvania area that catered to the slaves and helping them escape to Canada. This was a fun weekend with plays, good food, crafts, much information, and everyone there was dressed in period clothing. I brought home a poster that tells the story of quilts made by slaves, free blacks, and Abolitionists that were used as means of secret communication on the UR. Messages were hidden in the quilts in plain view hanging from fences, on clotheslines, and from windows. Quilt patterns including the use of specific colors, stitches, and pattern sequences signaled escape, help, and safety.
The first one is the Monkey Wrench was displayed when an escape was being planned. The Tumbling Block appeared when it was time to escape.
Drunkard's Path told run-a-ways to zigzag and double back.
The Log Cabin pattern with a black center signified a safe house.
I have a few more and I'll post them tomorrow along with more history on these quilts. I'm getting long winded, and don't want to bore you..and don't worry there won't be a test....LOL
I found this Tiger Swallowtail outside my garage yesterday. The poor guy's wings seem a bit tattered.

We've had so much rain lately these mushrooms are everywhere.

2 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

WOW! I had no idea those quilts had so much history! Thank you so much for this post.

I posted a Tattered Tiger Today on my "kreations" blog. What is it they say about great minds.....:)

Mary said...

Those are wonderful, Becky! I bet it was an interesting weekend and the information is great! Those are great photos.....I always love quilt blocks :-) I'm glad you posted these. The swallowtail looks pretty good to me! and those mushrooms (and your new header) are great!