WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Yesterday around noon our weather alert monitor went off warning of an oncoming storm out over Lake Erie, that was producing waterspouts. Since I am a local weather watcher, I thought we had better head to the Peninsula on Lake Erie to see if I could get any pictures. This is what the sky looked like on the way there. We found a great parking spot where we could watch in both directions. There were lots of people on the beach all having a great time. The sky doesn't look that bad now.
There were folks visiting.
I don't know what this is called, but you wouldn't get me out there!
Just checking the clouds. They don't look angry enough.
Folks walking a dog.
Wind surfing. Not for me either!
This sailboat was out quite a ways, and seemed to be lowering a sail due to the high winds. There is a jet ski in the foreground.
I spotted a jet that had just taken off from the Erie International Airport.
More sailboats
We didn't see any water spouts. Later last evening we got some violent thunder storms with lots of marble sized hail. It was scary with all the thunder, lightening, and the hail pounding on the house. This is a poor picture, but it will show how big the hail was.
Thank goodness this morning the sun is out again !
Have a wonderful day everybody.

6 comments:

Mary said...

That's some big hail! The sky over the lake doesn't look bad at all. Hope you didn't have too much damage from the hail.

Louise said...

Bummer, no waterspouts! But looked like a fun day to be at the lake.

Anonymous said...

That storm moved through our area during the night, but luckily just rain, no hail. My son was to fly out of NYC to Buffalo this evening, but his flight was canceled. I can hear thunder in the distance just now. What weather we have been having!

dot said...

I love that beach..so pretty!

me ann my camera said...

The size of those hailstones is amazing!!! Like a hand full of moth balls my mother used to use decades ago.

Your beautiful beach and sky pictures have me yearning for a day at the beach. We have been too busy this summer with renovations and visitors.... time to take a day off.

Tom said...

Thank you for all you resent visits, please forgive my slowness to return your kindness... I wouldhave loved to have seen a waterspout, but I'll settle for that hail.... I would not like that falling on my head.. :O)