WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Good Morning. It's 52º here and very foggy AGAIN! I can't see the sky to tell if there are any clouds, but a quick check of the radar doesn't show any rain near-by.
A few more Underground Railroad quilt patches. Be sure to read yesterday's post to see why I'm putting these on.
It is believed that in order to memorize the whole code, a sampler quilt was used. The sampler would include all the patterns arranged in the order the codes would appear. Stitches and knots also played a role in the code. Stitches were placed to represent maps, and knots indicated a scale in miles. The messages remained hidden in plain view until everyone planning to escape had completed the signaled task.
All this information is from "Hidden in Plain View- A Secret Story of Quilts & the Underground Railroad". by J. L. Tobin & R. G. Dobard PhD.
The Flying Geese pointed the direction to travel with a solid color band. The Shoe Fly signaled a place to find clean clothing and take a bath.
The Bear Paw signaled a purposed safe trail through the Appalachian Mountains.

The Bow Tie meant there was a "safe church" in the area.

My first Gladiola. Another sign of the disappearing summer season.

A couple of my blue-egg laying chickens.
A large flock of Crows landed in this tree in our back yard. They were making a terrible racket almost trying to out do each other with their LOUD caws! This only shows a few. There were many more, and they kept up the noise for about 10 minutes!

5 comments:

Mary said...

More beautiful quilt blocks...goody! Wonder what the underground railroad would have thought of the quilt barn trail we have now? Flying geese is one of my favorites and I've seen it used in so many beautiful quilts in flowing lines as well as the traditional. Beautiful glad! Love those chickens! Blue eggs?? Show a picture!

Becky said...

Mary
Now you've got me wondering if they ever used the quilt paintings on the barns as signals too ? ?
Check my post from August 3rd. I have a picture of the blue eggs on it, and a short history on the chickens.
If you can't find it let me know, and I'll put another picture on.
Have a great day.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks! I guess I missed the egg post because it was the day after we got back from vacation. I'd love to see your tole painted eggs! The quilt barns are much more recent and just for fun, so I'm sure they were not used as signals, and it would have been too dangerous to be showing the same sign all the time on your barn.

Carletta said...

I was enjoying your Sky Watch and noticed these quilt patterns.
I'd like to invite you to visit my blog for this past Wednesday. I posted photos of 'Quilt Barns'. Quilt patterns have been painted like a quilt on the barn wall.
I thought it might interest you.
Actually the route I was on was actually used by some for the underground railroad.

Kerri Farley said...

Love those quilts!!