On my walk yesterday afternoon I spotted several early signs of the Fall season sneaking up on us.
These Toad Stools were under one of our Blue Spruce trees. They look like dirty golf balls up on tees.
Common Sulphur butterfly.
I went in search of Monarch chrysalises, but found this Monarch Caterpillar, and now he is in a large jar with his favorite Milk Weed leaves. I'm going to try my hand at getting him to do his thing. As we speak he is munching on breakfast. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Closed for the season.
Sumac leaves.
Cow Parsnip seeds.
When I walked the Pond trail, I first noticed some commotion coming from a tall willow tree. I saw first a Belted Kingfisher fly out, followed by an immature Red Tailed Hawk. They were squabbling about something. Of course no pictures... The next moment as I neared the creek, a large Great Blue Heron saw me and took off too. Another missed shot. I did see these ducks before they saw me. I sneaked up on them from behind a tree, but they were so far away. I can't ID them either, and I don't believe I've seen them before. Then the batteries in my camera went dead! Bummer.
5 comments:
Becky, good luck with the Monarch caterpillar.And you're right that there are signs of fall now that are not too difficult to find. Summer has gone fast but fall is my most favourite season. I spotted a hawk this morning too and I think it might be a Sharp-shinned or Coopers maybe? I have to do more research yet on it.
I checked the monarch cocoon this morning and I haven't seen any more changes to it yet.
On our ride today, we saw several trees turning color already.
Well you did get some beautiful photos before your camera went dead, looks like nature came out and showed off for you.
Lovely signs of fall! Those mushrooms do look like dirty golf balls...funny! I don't think our sumac leaves are changing yet. Will have to start looking for fall....I love fall, but am not ready for winter by any means! Any more when I go out with the camera, there are extra batteries tucked into my pocket...its so frustrating when they run out at the wrong moment!
Becky, awesome, AWESOME photos! I'm just scrolling through quickly before heading to bed.
I miss you and need to just write!!!!
Your photos are absolutely breath-taking. :)
Post a Comment